Saturday, March 8, 2014

Lent 2014

This year for Lent, I have decided to give up social media completely! I knew it was time to really give it up because like I said last year, I spend way too much time on my various accounts and sites.  I wake up and check Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc. Quite the obsession or is it? I like to think of it as a way of staying connected to my friends and family and seeing what's going on in their world. For the past couple of days, it hasn't been too hard to not be on these sites.

My thoughts for being off these sites was to spend more time in God's word than spending time following someone's life based on what they choose to post on a social media account. I'm thinking that although I've taken myself off of the sites, I may need to scale back on my internet usage (an other distraction of mine).  I'm not punishing myself, but I do know it's time to focus. To truly get into the word and to give God my attention. It's almost impossible to fully focus when you have so many things distracting you.

I also decided that I would not consume any alcohol during this Lenten season. Gasp!! Not even wine! For the past couple of years, this has been on my heart as something I should give up, but I've always had some reason for why I didn't want to make it a sacrifice. My birthday was coming up, I was going out of town on a vacay where all kinds of alcohol would be provided and served, etc. Well this year, I decided it was time to put those selfish motives behind me and give it up. I wanted to be able to go through this period completely sober and to really be available to hear from God.

I have spent a lot of time listening to various sermons online and reading different plans on my Bible app.  For now, I am noticing that I need to connect more in prayer and not just go through the motion of giving up social media and alcohol. What good is making a sacrifice when you're not fully tapping into why you're doing this?

Either way, the first couple of days have been going really well and I'm looking forward to strengthening and deepening my connection to God throughout the rest of this time.

Do you celebrate Lent? If so, what are you sacrificing this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment