Tuesday, April 16, 2013

My first official training day!

Since my new running shoes came in yesterday, I decided to start training for the my half marathon today! I have been highly anticipating officially getting started for a few days now! With the unlimited deal for Bikram, I have decided that on days that I can't make it to the yoga studio due to scheduling conflicts, then I will use those days to train for the half. 

Today I was scheduled to babysit from 5:15-8pm, but when I got to the house...no one was home. Uhhh....really?? So I call the lady and inquire about her whereabouts and she says "um, I have you down to sit for me on the 18th".  So I nicely reply (since this is my first time sitting for her) that the e-mails we exchanged clearly say, Tuesday, April 16th.  I was slightly blown at all of this because of course, I could have gone to Bikram tonight had it not been for rushing home to make it to this babysitting gig by 5:15.  

Either way, I am happy that I had a very productive first day of training.  I found a beginner's 12 week training schedule online for half marathon runners that I'm using.  The race is not until September 14th which is further than 12 weeks away, but since I've never ran further than 6 miles in one setting, I figured I'd start early. 

Today's session consisted of a 10 minute warm up and 1 minute hills (8x) running up the hill and walking back down. I was also supposed to finish it off with strides (4x), but I had to get going so I just jogged back to my car after the hills.  It took me about 40 minutes to do this and it wasn't too bad. I felt really accomplished when I was done and it was a great sweat session!! Having new running shoes was also an awesome addition to the run! I used to get serious shin splints when I would run, but with the Asics GT 2170's, I don't have that problem!

I wanted some cool colored running shoes, but the ones on sale and in my size simply came in all black...boo! No fun at all, but hey, shoes are shoes, and I'm not turning down a good sale just because of the color. I just took it upon myself to try to swag them out as much as I could by adding neon pink laces to them! It helped a little, but nothing too fancy.

Tomorrow will be a Bikram day which will be right on time since I will need the good stretch after all the hills. I think it'll be good to alternate running days and yoga days since Bih suggested that you most definitely place a large emphasis on stretching while training to prevent injury! 

So here we go! I'm off on a new fitness adventure and I'm going to give it all that I have!! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment