Monday, July 22, 2013

7 pounds

I'm finally back home after being gone for a little over a week!! These past 10 days have been awesome and lots of fun has been had! The first stop was to Washington, DC for my sorority's centennial followed by heading to Richmond to see my BFF, Valena get married. 

While attending the centennial celebration in DC, I stayed with a sorority sister who actually lives in Maryland. This made it easy to have home cooked meals and to easily access food that wasn't just quick and convenient (i.e. fast food and other junk foods).  Although I had this privilege of being able to access a full kitchen in order to stick to a healthy diet....I gotta be honest...I didn't! SMH! During this time, I would say I had a 1/2 and 1/2 approach to a clean diet. 

I planned to workout and go running a few times while there, but with the heat index exceeding over 100 degrees most days, I was only able to go for a run one day.  The boxing class went really well and it kicked my butt!!! It was an AWESOME workout!! I was so hooked on it that I wished I lived in that area and would have been able to join the gym.  After the class, my date and I grabbed some brunch and both of us decided on chicken and waffles...(smh again...how counterproductive to an amazing workout).  I was just living it up these past few days!!!

When I got to Richmond, I planned to get myself back on track and went grocery shopping for some clean eats! I picked up fresh fruits and veggies, Greek yogurt, and some other things.  I always overestimate how much I really need and end up buying more than I can consume.  Sure enough, several things ended up getting left in my friend Jaime's refrigerator to be later consumed by her I suppose! This was helpful that I did purchase my own food, but attending Valena's rehearsal dinner, wedding, and brunch the morning after the wedding just totally had me way off track!

The rehearsal dinner was at Maggiano's Little Italy in Short Pump, VA.  There was so much food and I totally was just eating it just because it was there. I was stuffed after the first course came out, but do you think I stopped there!? No! I kept stuffing my face because I wanted to taste and eat it all! Smh! Seriously these are the old habits I used to have that assisted in putting on the extra weight in the first place.  At the wedding, there was so much good food with a New Orleans/creole flair on top of an open bar!! Damn those drink calories that just add up and up with no nutritional value whatsoever.  

And the cake! Oh the cake!!! Unlike Ana Mae Bullock....I ate that cake! And once again, the next morning, at brunch, I went all the way in once again. Mimosas were unlimited and there was left over cake from the wedding.    

Needless to say, I totally had the time of my life with friends and family these past few days....but uh....yeah....when I woke up this morning, I had to hop on the scale to see what kind of damage I had done to myself.

Not even to my surprise, I gained 7 pounds.....oh the shame! 

So what's the point of sharing all of this? We all go on vacation and enjoy ourselves a little more than we know we should....indulging in all kinds of reckless foolery.  But there is always a chance to get back on track and recognize those old habits that we know if we keep it up, we'll be right back to where we started.  Falling down will happen, but getting back up is the most important part. I think I just slid all the way down the hill, more than just a little slip and fall, but I still have goals that need to be achieved. 

My half marathon is in less than 2 months and I have to get myself back in gear! I'll be going back to work in a few weeks as well (omg this summer went by so fast).  This will get me back to my normal life and all the traveling will come to a halt.  Today I took it easy and slept the majority of the day. I haven't slept in a real bed in over a week so it felt good to sleep in my own bed!! My body needed the rest! 

I'll be getting back to business tomorrow!! These 7 pounds are about to be torched like a forest fire! They gots to go!!! 

How has your summer been going? Have you too had moments of falling off track after a vacation or just in general? How do you plan to get back on your regular routine?

No comments:

Post a Comment