Saturday, February 16, 2013

Pay attention....to successful people

As I have mentioned before, I began reading a book called Monday Morning Choices: 12 Powerful Ways to Go From Everyday to Extraordinary by David Cottrell back in December. When I first began reading this book, I got hooked on the first chapter because Cottrell used an example of how to commit to your exercise goals. I got hooked because that was something of interest to me. As the book goes on, he focuses on being successful at work or if you're trying to start your own business, but this book is very powerful and can be applied to any area of your life!!!

Monday Morning Choice #5 is called "The Do Something Choice...Don't Vacation on "Someday Isle".  This chapter pretty much encourages the reader to stop talking about it and do it! Don't keep putting things off and take full advantage of getting out there and doing what you want to do now! As the chapter comes to a close, Cottrell has a section titled "Pay Attention".  He starts by saying:

Finally, choose to do something that will make a difference.  
If you aren't happy with the way things are now, choose to do something about it.

He then goes on  to say something that really stood out to me and has stuck!! He says "one of the most important decisions you can make is to study what successful people do".  OMG...if you get that, it will totally change your life!! Just think about it, what he means by "successful people" doesn't mean just successful business people, or people with money, or people who seem to have it all together. Now those people fit into the category, but it doesn't stop with them. Anything you view as success is acceptable here. 

I have began studying the ways of people who successfully build their bodies! What I mean by "build their bodies" is people who have awesome bodies, but they have to and had to work at it!! Not just the girl who has been thin with killer arms since 8th grade (genetics are truly on her side) or the guy who is 6'4 and has had a six pack for as long as you could remember. I'm talking about those people who you know if they completely quit what they're currently doing, their bodies would change for the worse.  I have started studying what they're eating, how they're working out, how often they eat, how often they work out, etc. This has played a really large role in helping me in this journey to getting fit and staying fit.  

Yesterday while on Instagram (remember this is such a rich resource for getting new ideas), I saw two posts from two girls about an ab workout they were doing. Both girls showed pictures of their extremely defined abdominal area and posted the exercise they were currently working on. They also made it very clear to share that abs are made in the kitchen and NOT in the gym. One girl stated "I can't stress enough that I don;t care how strong your core is...if you're not eating right, you will NOT have the abs you want".  Now I've stated before that time after time I have heard that statement and have ignored it. It was easier for me to think if I put in hours at the gym, and did all kinds of hard core ab workouts, then eventually my abs would make an appearance as well.  Finally, I kept seeing over and over again that abs were made in the kitchen and that's when I said it was time to change my diet and to see what happens. I mean it couldn't hurt to try right? Well I'm proud to say that I'm pleased with the results I'm seeing. My abs are definitely not where I want them to be, but I know with consistency and dedication, I will have the desired look I want eventually.  

You could apply this concept of studying successful people to any area of your life. Maybe you have a hard time managing money. Or perhaps you have a hard time being on time.  You feel like you're an ineffective parent. You are struggling in your marriage or relationship. Whatever your case may be, open your mind to seeing what other people are doing in an area that you want to improve in and take notes! See how that works out for you! Remember to always stay open minded.  An open mind and a great attitude will take you farther than if you have the mindset that the people you're hoping to be like "think they're better than you".  They're probably not even thinking about you...you're the one who wants to be more successful in this area in your life! Follow people who are producing results with their actions...visible results....not people who say they're successful at something. Talk is super cheap, and we all know actions speak louder. 

Those girls I'm taking notes from on IG are totally making statements with their words, but they're bodies are backing those words up! 

Final recap tip from Cottrell:  "Study successful people. What choices have they made to help them reach their level of success?"  
The key word here folks is choices.  

1 comment:

  1. This is very true! I think it is so important to pay attention to successful people in all aspects of your life. I used to tell my students to always align themselves with the best- Keep Up or Exceed but never fall behind. It's a good message. I think it can be intimidating to see people so dilligent but I think it's important to know that you can be successful in your own way but borrow that dilligence and apply it in a way that works for you! Keep pushing Ash, you're doing a good job.

    ReplyDelete