Friday, March 22, 2013

The Living Spree....part 1..."simplicity...happiness"

Upon turning 29, I oozed with excitement! I felt this feeling in the atmosphere that life was only about to get better from this moment on.  This feeling wasn't necessarily stemming from the notion that turning 29 would mean my life would be better merely because I was turning 29. It was more like I was finally starting to step into a new realm of appreciating the life I have been given. Now don't get me wrong, I still have my fair share of problems, issues, short comings, etc. etc., but I owe this all to my perspective of life.

In Philippians 4:12, Paul says "I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation..." He then goes on to say in verse 13 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me".  Philippians 4:13 is a lot of people's favorite Biblical verse.  We reference it when facing any difficult situation and quote it religiously. Some get it tattooed on their bodies or use it as an e-mail signature, etc.  But one thing I've noticed is that when these two verses are truly coupled, applied, and understood, it's powerful!  To be honest with you, up until maybe last year, I had no idea what verse 12 even said! After reading the whole passage, I felt renewed, refreshed, and powerful to boldly state verse 13 knowing that with anything I face in life good or bad, happy or sad, I have strength to endure with Christ by my side!

One of the things that I envisioned for myself for the rest of my life is to be on a "living spree".  I would take time and stop and smell the flowers. I would appreciate the small things that could grant me so much joy if I would just allow it.

Today  I was talking to my best friend and she was expressing feeling like she's in a funk right now.  I was trying to help my bestie shake her "blah" feelings and I suggested to her to do something that makes her happy that's independent of anything and anyone.  Sometimes we have to dig deep and find something that can be so simple, yet makes us so happy.  I figured I'd follow my own advice and today, I chose something super simple to make me happy.


When I got home from work, I decided that I would curl up in my bed, listen to a new station on Spotify radio that I had never listened to before, read my O magazine (which by the way Jurnee Smollett-Bell looks absolutely beautiful!!), and enjoy a glass of red vino in my favorite Hokie inspired wine glass! As you can see, this is so simple, but everything I chose to do made me happy! Even down to choosing that wine glass to sip from! I don't drink wine as much as I use to, so enjoying some today was definitely a treat! And as you may recall from a previous post, I love love love music! This moment is part of the living spree because I'm truly enjoying it! I'm appreciating the life God has blessed me with and not complaining! I'm finding SOMETHING to bring me happiness regardless of any outstanding circumstance. 

What do you find to be simple, yet makes you happy? 

"...let's go on a living spree..."

No comments:

Post a Comment