Sunday, March 3, 2013

The Rededication


Today marked a very special day!! One of the proudest and most monumental days in my adult life! I was baptized and I rededicated my life to the Lord. About 15 years ago, I was baptized, but this time, I made the decision as a fully aware adult who wanted to publicly declare that Jesus is my Lord and Savior! I blogged about this briefly a few posts ago so I won't go into too much of that again, but I do want to share with you all my joy regarding this moment!

So what does this mean for me? What will life be like now that I've decided to get baptized again? Why even get baptized again? Well for me, this means continuing to live for God and to inspire others to be drawn to God as well.  I tell you, my life has been so amazing since I developed a deeper relationship with God. And this is not about material things or being blessed with everything I've ever asked for. No, not a chance. I have had my fair share of disappointments, set backs, upsets, etc. even AFTER I have developed a relationship with God. 

Over the past couple of years as my relationship with God has grown, I have realized that having the joy and peace that God gives me is so much better than my life before I really knew him. I also don't even desire to live that kind of life anymore. I don't even miss it!  I am so overjoyed and words can't express the feeling I felt today after my baptism. When I first got into the pool, the first thing I thought was "whew this water is cold!" Apparently everyone who was watching below could also read my lips to see that's how I really felt! I was a tad distracted because some of my closest friends were standing in the door way watching and I was looking at them trying to get my mind off of the cold water. 

I had envisioned the moment to be a serious moment where I would reflect on my old self literally dying and when I was brought back up out of the water, I would feel like the new rest of my life was beginning. I came out of the water discombobulated trying to gather myself, and after my pastor wiped my face off, I started smiling when I saw all of my friends looking back at me. Everything happened so quickly, I didn't really get a chance to bask in the moment. When I got in my car to drive home, I felt like I missed the moment.  I was even some what disappointed that I wasn't focusing enough at the time. I got home and continued to listen to music while worshiping God and I shared a picture on Instagram and Facebook of the moment. After so many people liked the picture and commented on how inspiring it was, I started to realize that I do have the rest of my life to live for God. The baptism was a mere second, but it signifies so much more! I felt inspired that I was inspiring other people! I felt humbled that God was using me, someone who would have never imagined this to be happening to me 5 years ago. I felt proud of my decision! I felt God's presence all over me!!  

I heard a quote one time that said something like "I wish I had known God before knowing the Christian".  This essentially means that some people are turned off from knowing God because of how Christians act.  Christians are ambassadors of Christ (2 Corinthians 5:20).  What we do will either attract the nonbeliever to want to have a relationship with God or will push them away from God. I am hoping and praying that I am attracting people to want a deeper relationship with God! That people will want to know God for their self! That something I say or do will touch someone's life in a way that will give all the honor and glory to God! 


"We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life"
Romans 6:4 

God bless you all! Thank you for reading the Inspiration Station! I hope you have been inspired today! :)

4 comments:

  1. Congrats Ashley! I got my first communion and confirmation last Easter and it was one of the greatest days of my life.

    -alicia

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you vestie!!! I love u !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "At the cross where I first saw the light, And the burden of my heart rolled away, It was there by faith I received my sight, And now I am happy all the day!" I am so very proud and happy for you Ash. I know how you feel about missing the moment. I got baptised the Sunday two Sundays after I crossed and I was so excited about it I wanted to have this "moment". When it was over I felt like I missed something, but truly life after has been filled with more moments than I could ever count. God's favor and mercies follow us daily. It's the clarity of knowing that you know that makes this day so special!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy for you!!!! I have been where you are, and I must say that I can still remember that feeling. It will never go away!!!!! The choice to completely give yourself, or rededicate yourself, to God is one that will allow you to grow and touch others in ways unimaginable. Many times I can feel the spirit hit me when I'm doing everyday tasks. The warmth and understanding that I am loved touches me do deeply that all I can do is cry! You may have felt that you have been on this journey for a little while, but I'm here to tell you this is only the beginning. The strength in your relationship with God is the power that will guide you in for journey!!! God Bless and keep up the positive inspiration!!!!!

    ReplyDelete